|Title:||Strategic Category Manager - MRO|
This position will be tasked with engaging the organization to determine PGT’s requirements for selected categories and requirements as assigned; for providing market intelligence to key internal stakeholders and for assisting the PGTI organization in determining, developing and executing the appropriate category strategies, including an assessment of key business needs and drivers. This position will be directed by the Sr. Manager, Strategic Purchasing and is tasked with executing PGT’s business strategy as translated by the Sr. Manager, Strategic Purchasing in order to ensure maximum production levels and equipment uptime can be maintained. Value of commitments will vary depending on PGTI’s production environments but will generally be between $30-50 million per year.
Success in this position will be measured via the value added supplier relationships developed to enable the Company to lower costs, improve quality, minimize inventory, lower lead-times and improve fill rate. The Category Manager will be exposed to many business disciplines including Finance, Operations, Quality, Manufacturing, Marketing, Sales and Engineering.
Direction would be obtained from the Sr. Manager Strategic Purchasing as to overall strategic direction with access to this resource in the event of variation from the agreed upon approach.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Has in-depth and maintains current knowledge of the capabilities and capacities of PGT’s critical supply base.
* Acquires, maintains and shares knowledge of current market place as well as market trends and potential impact on PGT with key internal stakeholders.
* Provides process and methodology to engage key disciplines within PGT to determine business needs and potential strategies for key commodity categories.
* Strong professional negotiating skills, establishes, maintains and improves supplier alliances, partnerships, performance and contingency plans; identifies
and remediates risks to PGT from supply sources in concert with the and PGT legal counsel.
* Analyzes supplier cost breakdown to identify cost drivers and waste that can be reduced through continuous improvement activities.
* Establishes, measures and manages long term supply relationships to the benefit of PGT; this includes developing and managing commitment documentation for same.
* Monitors and administers supplier performance ratings.
* Monitors and obtains timely corrective action responses from suppliers for all nonconformance reports.
* Reviews commodities at regular intervals for competitiveness and overall value from current supplier.
* Establishes commodity strategies and promotes within our client and suppliers.
* Monitors market trends, including economic impact, in strategic commodities to plan future purchases.
* Provides support for “make versus buy” decisions.
* Promotes Lean Manufacturing programs with suppliers to improve quality and reduce waste, inventory and cost.
* Leads and facilitates cross-functional teams for sourcing across the enterprise.
* Establishes cost savings targets to achieve year over year cost reductions on managed spend. Tracks cost savings and presents to senior management.
* Leads the supplier selection process, leads sourcing team, prepares documentation to approach market (i.e. Request for Proposal (RFP) documents, RFI or negotiating strategy and plans), drives the evaluation process and obtains team evaluations for selected projects.
* Develops reliable sources of raw material, supplies, parts, equipment, and services. Obtains price and delivery quotations as necessary.
* Gathers information on new materials, products, equipment, finishes and supplier sources to keep abreast of new developments.
* Works closely with buyer/planners to accurately forecast current purchasing trends or help with issues the buyer/planner cannot immediately resolve with the supplier.
Specific Skills Associated with MRO, CapEx, Indirect Spend
* Has previous experience managing Capital Expense and Asset purchases, is familiar with writing Request for Asset and Asset Justifications.
* Has previous success purchasing manufacturing equipment, Automation, and writing contracts capturing performance criteria, specifications, spare parts, warranty.
* Has proven success at negotiating cost savings, measuring cost savings and provides forecasts for future cost savings.
* Has previous success negotiating contracts for indirect services such as rental car, hotel, expense reporting, janitorial services, fire protection, etc.
* Understands mechanical specifications relating to automated equipment, tooling, general machinery, MRO parts.
* Understands how to work with legal counsel on contract and service agreement terms and conditions.
* Has experience working in a strategic role that includes some tactical elements.
* Understands how to manage performance based service contracts
* Understands how to apply corporate technical/engineering standards when writing equipment purchase contracts.
* Has proven experience identifying stakeholders, gathering requirements or specifications, creating bid package/RFQ, involves stakeholders in supplier selection process, using process driven methods.
* Understands the balance between cost savings and value of quality/performance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Candidate must have a proven background in the management of large dollar, major supply commodity categories and critical services. Candidate must be capable of establishing strong partnerships with internal clients and has experience in successfully negotiating global commodity and/or service agreements.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
* Creative Thinking – ability to generate innovative approaches, as well as new or improved solutions, to help create incremental gains in business results; think and develop solutions that are “outside of the box” i.e. significantly different.
* Supply Base Analysis - in-depth knowledge and ability to determine risk vs. value assessment; manage and execute supply strategies; understand the various internal and external benchmarking methodologies to collect value-added information and gather competitive intelligence information across the appropriate organizations; predict supplier’s capability to deliver goods required.
* Risk Management - categorizes risks inherent in any project; identifies acceptable levels of risk and assess the potential impact of the risk factors; able to translate the quality criteria, standards, and terminology used within a production environment to the products and services provided.
* Negotiation Skills - full knowledge and ability to utilize an effective assortment of negotiation skills and approaches to maximum benefit to PGT; able to employ a range of tactics and ploys; Understand importance of strategy and types of relationship; ability to pre-plan.
* Contract Management - identifies key performance indicators; manages a formal contract review process; clear link to Supplier Appraisal and Development; understands Service Level Agreements; able to structure short and long term contracts for varying levels of commitment and spend; understanding the pre-award process and success criteria of contract management; manages a bid process to optimize supplier innovation, while limiting internal risk; utilizes pre-qualification process; awards on the basis of future business need; utilizes total cost of ownership assessment; interprets the legal implications of a contract.
* Finance for Procurement - Practical and relevant financial awareness in the procurement context; ability to define and use financial information in planning, control and decision making; able to undertake a meaningful financial appraisal and assessment of risk. Understanding of costing methods and cost models; understand cost drivers and supplier cost breakdown; assess and analyze financial information as part of the procurement strategy; interpret financial ratios, the interrelationship of financial statements, etc. to draw appropriate conclusions; develops and employs cost models which reflect the true costs or true incremental costs) of manufacturing; conduct economic and financial analysis and ensure models provide insight into make or buy decisions and price negotiations.
* Supply Chain Analysis and Business Forecasting - Predict future requirements and needs by using appropriate and objective information; apply critical thought to the available facts with a high degree of objectivity; requires access to market information and the ability to conduct statistical analysis; recognize and analyze trends and anomalies and make appropriate decisions and develop strategies to meet the needs; analyze, balance, synchronize and synergize all internal and external resources and assets to ensure the progress and ultimate completion of the service required.
* Project Management Skill – Create project plans and timelines, familiar with gated project plan process used to move from initial discovery of need for change to implementation of change.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
* BA/BS required, MS preferred or equivalent on the job experience.
* CPM, CPIM or CSCP certification preferred.
* International procurement experience preferred.
* Demonstrate planning, analytical, organizational and project management skills.
* Minimum of 6-10 years of experience in major, large dollar supply commodity categories and critical services.
* Minimum of 2 years at Senior Buyer level or Strategic Buyer level in manufacturing sector.
* Proven cost reduction track record.
* Accomplished user of common PC software, including MS-Word, MS-Excel.
* Ability to apply the principles of Lean Manufacturing and Kanban systems required.
* Excellent negotiation, verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to read prints, including a basic understanding of tolerances and finishes.
* Ability to engage internal stakeholders (with no reporting authority) in the development and execution of a common direction and strategy
LANGUAGE / COMMUNICATION SKILLS
No specific communication skills required.
Ability to construct or interpret moderately complex "make vs. buy" models using Excel spreadsheets. Must be able to understand the use of percentages, the calculation of discounts using percentages and be able to logically present information either verbally or in presentation form to peers or executives.
No specific reasoning ability required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certification in process for CPM (by 2nd year in position) or equivalent, APICS CPIM, CSCP, preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Usual office environment with frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing.
* Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office machinery.
* Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone.
* Candidate must be able to visually inspect periodic deliveries of goods in the manufacturing plant.
* Minimal additional physical demands, including occasional bending, walking and stooping.
* Must be able and willing to spend significant time on the manufacturing floor.
Ability to travel occasionally domestically or internationally.
Occasional: activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequent: activity exists 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.