The management, research, planning, design, testing and implementation of improvements and solutions to existing fenestration products within PGT Industries. Provide and coordinate engineering and technical support following the release of product requirements, specifications, fabrications drawings, assemblies, testing, and production maturity of all product lines. Support incremental innovations, standard product maintenance, end of product life cycle obsolescence, and regulatory updates of current product lines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Develops and Maintains processes for Engineering Change Orders, Temporary Deviations, Bill of Material maintenance and updates, extrusion and fabrication drawing revision control, and cross functional steps to implement product changes/enhancements
• Maintains Product enhancement/improvement pipeline across the existing product portfolio of PGT Industries products
• Reviews Quality and Service data to determine opportunities for design improvements to improve quality and decrease service rates, maintains and measures improvements as they relate to budget/cost of quality
• Works with tooling, purchasing and manufacturing personnel on tool design, vendors, price and manufacturability of product improvements
• Oversees product obsolescence process for end of lifecycle product lines, and supports initiatives necessary to maintain data, support warranty and service items.
• Work cross functionally with New Product Development teams to transition newly designed products into the manufacturing facility and transition new products to the sustaining engineering phase.
• Collaborates with Sales and Marketing on product development proposals, sales presentations, catalogs and general marketing information.
• Research customer-specific product enhancement proposals, including data collection, performing comparative analysis, and writing detailed documentation of product design.
• Works with tooling, purchasing and manufacturing personnel on tool design, vendors, price and manufacturability to successfully implement product improvements.
• Makes suggestions and formally reports recommendations on tooling, assembly and installation changes.
• Collaborates with internal and external customers to develop customer centric solutions and communicates project priorities and timelines.
• Works with Quality Technicians and Manufacturing on root cause analysis, containment procedures and corrective action.
• Demonstrate appropriate work skills, technical accuracy, efficiency and conformity to company policies.
• Helps mentor and provide guidance to ensure sustaining engineering specialist have the appropriate training necessary to exceed job expectations.
• Visits customers and homeowners on occasions to better understand and root cause design failures and application failures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering or equivalent – preferably Mechanical Engineering.
• 4± years of experience in engineering design and project management, preferably in the Fenestration industry.
• Competent professional utilizes mechanical engineering principals of strengths of materials, mechanical engineering design, heat transfer, statistics, advanced mathematics, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry
• Computer skills: Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, Proven proficiency in AutoCAD and Inventor Software or proven ability to obtain proficiency with-in first year
• Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
LANGUAGE / COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
College-level mathematical skills
Ability to establish priorities, plan, document and monitor
Must be able to assess complex situations and make appropriate decisions
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Usual office environment with frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing.
• Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office machinery.
• Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone.
Ability to travel occasionally domestically.
Occasional: activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequent: activity exists 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
Alternatively, you can apply to this job using your profile on one of the following sites: