The Technical Writer works with multi-disciplinary teams to obtain an in-depth understanding of products, manufacturing processes and the associated documentation requirements. The Technical Writer shall demonstrate the ability to develop, organize, and edit technical documentation, Manufacturing Work Instructions, Job Breakdown Sheets, Training and Assessment documents, and other documents as required; demonstrate the ability to organize basic source material, including applicable specifications and accompanying diagrams and drawings; demonstrate experience in organizing material and completing writing assignments according to specified standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style and terminology; and demonstrate experience in modifying and augmenting existing documentation and in recommending revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction, storage and dissemination.
Summary of Job Duties:
- Research, develop, write, and revise technical documents and develop diagrams, charts, and graphics according to established standards.
- Proactively identify documentation areas that need to be updated based on engineering changes. Ensure that final documents comply with corresponding standards and style guides.
- Perform impact assessment within a document and across library of documents based upon proposed changes to a document in revision.
- Identify latent organizational weaknesses and human performance error traps embedded in existing documents.
- Work with Subject Matter Experts to test/validate the process to ensure that it works as documented.
- Effectively resolve differences in professional opinion encountered when resolving comments in the review process of standard operating procedures.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal skills to effectively communicate with customers and stakeholders.
- Demonstrate effective facilitation skills to guide decision-making or consensus.
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt technology, tools, and processes in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to exercise judgment, within defined procedures and practices, to determine appropriate job actions.
- Ability to identify the moderately complex information needs of a target audience and organize and develop documentation plan that addresses those needs.
- Contribute to initiatives that help improve content quality and usability including conducting audits.
- Understands company and department expectations/measures and results including profit sharing, errors, nonconformities, quality, safety and material usage. Maintains and manages supplies, tools and materials. Makes suggestions to improve business results.
- Sets a strong example for team by approaching people and work positively, supports leadership and is a champion for change.
- Participate actively in team meetings and intershift meetings.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
ASQ – Certified Quality Auditor or equivalent
ISO/QS-9000 or related experience
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or scientific field, or English literature with a minor in a technical field
- Minimum of three years' experience in technical writing including writing and editing Standard
- Operating Procedures, technical manuals, reports, briefs, specifications, instruction books, users' manuals, operating manuals
- Fluency in the English language, styles, and conventions, with the ability to master technical concepts and explain them in terms appropriate for the target audience.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively interview subject matter experts, and to collaborate with others in writing, editing and reviewing large or complex documents.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbally and in writing) with different functional and operational team technical representatives.
- Demonstrated technical writing capabilities.
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading skills with emphasis on grammar and punctuation
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Visio, SharePoint, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Strong technical aptitude to grasp complex technologies.
- Ability to work in a team environment to accomplish project schedule and deadline is required.
Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
High level of professionalism in all communications.
Bi-Lingual a plus
Word, Excel, Access, Project, PowerPoint, Visio
- Able to coordinate multiple departments for a single outcome
- Able to work independently with limited guidance from supervisor
- Problem resolution capabilities
- Able to make common sense decisions based on knowledge at hand
- Can differentiate between black/white specifications and business decisions
- Able to follow a logical train of thought to recreate events
- Ability to forecast outcomes based on different input and actions (action-reaction)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
50% air conditioned office environment and 50% manufacturing environments (with and without air conditioning) with frequent sitting, walking, standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing. Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office machinery. Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone.
Ability to travel occasionally domestically.